Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Relay for Life - A Breast Cancer Event



My family has participated in the Relay for Life for the past several years. The event starts with a Survivor Lap that is very emotional. A teenage girl sang the song and she broke down crying. It was a very emotional event. The lady in the pink hat is battling breast cancer right now with two young children at home. It is a a very emotional event and made me very greatful for good health.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2001. She had two surgeries, chemptherapy and radiation. She is very diligent about her health and following the doctors orders. I still get a little nervous when she has follow up appointments with her doctor even though she hasn't had any relapses.

My mom's cancer is estrogen recpetive which means she has to avoid all soy products. The estrogen-like substances (isoflavones) in soy may stimulate the estrogen receptors of breast cancer cells and make them grow. It's this potential danger that makes many doctors warn their breast cancer patients against eating soy products. It was surprising to find out how many products have soy added to them.

Protect your Ta Ta's, check them regularly!!

3 comments:

Paula said...

My sister is a cancer survivor and organized the Relay for Life event in Palo Alto for several years. Good for you for participating!

Mary said...

I will check my Ta Ta's regularly. Thanks for the reminder.

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.