Saturday, August 1, 2009

Prague with a stop in Dresden

I left early this morning to catch the train to Prague. I stopped half way in Dresden. Dresden was an amazing city. The city was bombed by the allies in 1945, destroying their palaces, opera houses and churches. They have reconstructed most of the buildings and have done an amazing job with the aesthetics. I've enjoyed the extra leg workout walking on the cobblestone streets.

When I arrived in Prague I was surprised that the train station was closed even though it as only 5:30pm....but it is a Saturday. It took me extra long to figure out how to get a ticket for the metro and to my hotel. I withdrew money from the ATM and then went to McDonalds for coins to buy a ticket (the ticket machines don't accept bills). I made it to my hotel, which is really nice!! (I booked it as a special deal I saw on travelzoo.com; they charged my credit card in June and I was hoping that it is nice.)

I walked around the castle and bridge to get a feel of the city. The castle is gorgeous at night; I love it all lit up!!

2 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

We are very happy you are enjoying your trip. Dad says Germany is very beautiful in the summertime.

Cathy said...

I hope you ate at McDonalds!