Monday, October 18, 2010

Havasupai/Grand Canyon































Last April my good friend Lori asked if we wanted to backpack down to Havasupai in the Grand Canyon. I asked Allen and he agreed. We bought a backpacking tent, boots and a backpack for myself. I enjoyed the first 8 miles to the Indian Village, called Havasupai. The last two miles to the campground was brutal. The trail wasn't any harder, I was just mentally and physically done. I think stopping in the village for a cold gatorade and an ice cream sandwich might have helped with the being done attitude.

Our campsite was gorgeous and close to the stream. The water was aqua blue and beautiful. It was very refreshing to soak our feet and legs in the cool stream after hiking. We spent the next two days enjoying the beautiful waterfalls and day hikes.

Allen has a new perspective about camping and hiking with girls, or at least my friends and I. He was a surprised at our willingness to climb down cliffs with chains and ladders. Allen demonstrated great restraint by not petting and playing with every dog that came by our campsite or we encountered on hikes. I was not in favor of dogs following us around or hanging out in our camp once you played with or fed them. I really appreciated my husband's self control.

Since we didn't enjoy the last two miles hiking in; we probably would only enjoy two miles hiking out, so we took a helicopter ride to the top. It was a short trip to the parking lot but so worth it!!

It was an awesome trip that was really worthwhile and enjoyable for everyone!!

PS There's lots of pictures and I don't care that they are out of order!!


2 comments:

Mary said...

I love all the pictures. What a fun trip. How pretty and fun! I bet Allen liked being the only guy with 3 girls (Kody Brown would approve!) That is funny how much Allen loves dogs.

Becky and Brian said...

The pictures are great! I am so glad you had a blast!