Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pearl Harbor and Hiking


I arranged for transportation on Saturday to go back to the airport and get my rental car. I called and confirmed this morning and then they didn't pick me up. Another guy from my Hostel was going to the airport so I caught a ride with him and I got my car. I'm so glad that I rented a car, I love having the freedom to go anywhere I want!!!

After I got my car I went to Pearl Harbor to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. I got there in time to get a ticket for the ferry out to the memorial. I purchased the additional audio tour for $5 and it was well worth it. My ticket was for group 13. I asked the ranger since I was just one person if there was an extra seat if I can go with the earlier group, he said no problem. Going with the early group saved me at least an additional hour of wait time, it's a great benefit of traveling by myself!! I really enjoyed the exhibit and it was well worth the visit.



I went to church at the University of Hawaii student ward, which was held at the Institute Building. Afterwards I stopped at Leonard's Bakery to try their famous Malasadas (which is a Portuguese pastry). They are really good and are best fresh ( I purchased some to enjoy on different days but they aren't as good.)

I went to Diamond Head Crater National Park and hiked to the top of the crater. The top had some spectacular views of Waikiki Beach and downtown.



I then went and did my favorite hike Maona Falls. Diamond Head is hiking a dry mountain, while the Maona Falls is a lush rainforest. The rocks were slippery and on the way to the falls I could feel only a little rain while it sounded loud on the canopy. When I started to hike back down it started to pour. It rained so much that I got drenched. It was so much fun hiking in the rain, it wasn't cold and it sounded awesome!!



I got drenched even more later in the day when I went to the Pali Lookout, which is gorgeous and has a lot of wind. I was there for only about five minutes when it started to pour. I got complete drenched this time and the wind made it cold. I got back to my car and I had to change my clothes.

I'll be going scuba diving tomorrow!!

Travel Tip: Arrive at the USS Arizona in the morning to get a ticket, since my trip someone recommended getting there at 7am and watch the flag raising at the memorial.

2 comments:

Steven & Adrienne said...

I am jeolous, I would loved to have gone on that hike. Maybe one day. Hope you keep having fun!

Steven & Adrienne said...

I had forgotten about the Cracker Barrel. That was a lot of fun!! And I remember something about you betting my dad a root beer for something. Thanks for your concern for my dad.