Monday, March 17, 2008

Scuba Diving & Snorkeling

Today was my big water day. I met my scuba diving divemaster at the harbor by the Ward Center. We went dove a wreck and a coral reef. The wreck dive was a sunk vessel called the Sea Tiger. It was my first dive in about two years and I was a little nervous. My divemaster, Mark, instructed me on how to connect my equipment and reviewed safety precautions. It was an amazing dive and I felt comfortable the entire time. I went as deep as 120 feet and the water was still warm!! I saw my first frog fish and lots fish that are only in Hawaii or Tropical Waters. I wish I was more brave on my first dive and I went in to the holes of the sunken vessel.



My second dive was at the Horseshoe Reef. I was able to dive with my first turtle. I am so excited to get my pictures developed, Mark was really good about taking pictures with me and the turtle. It was amazing to watch the turtle swim around so gracefully and even go all the way to the surface. I enjoyed the reef and Mark found a purple sea urchin shell that was empty for me (I put it on the seat of the van, to keep it safe and then later sat on it, crushing it too small pieces. I was so mad at myself and now I have to buy one and pretend it is from Hawaii.)

After scuba diving I went to the Ala Moana Mall to get some Yami Yogurt (a Japanese company), recommend by my friend Sommer. They have great yogurt and I got strawberries and macadamia nuts as toppings. Yami Yougurt is yummy!! I also tried chicken long rice (clear noodles) and chicken lao lao (chicken wrapped and cooked in seaweed) which were okay.

I went to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling and to the Halona Blow Hole. When you visit the bay you are required to watch a movie that explains safety precautions for snorkelers and the environment. It is a steep walk down to the bay and then I went snorkeling. The reef covered the majority of the bay and it was fun snorkeling back and forth. I was a little disappointed after going scuba diving the same day. Next time I'll make sure that I do them on separate days.




I went to the Halona Blow Holes, which were a lot of fun. There is a hole in the lava rocks that when the waves crashed against the rocks water sprays out of the top. It was so fun and relaxing to watch the water and see it spray up.



I headed up to the North Shore stopping at the Dole Pineapple Farm and enjoying and pineapple ice cream float. I then went to Matsumoto for the best shaved ice ever!! I ordered mine with ice cream in the center and rainbow flavoring (strawberry, lemon, & pineapple flavors). They are really good, simply amazing. I had a sugar high that night but it was worth it. Matsumoto's serve huge servings of shaved ice with ice cream in the center. It is sold out of this little store on the side of the highway and there is always a line going out the door.

I checked into the North Shore Hostel, showered and went to Laie on my quest to find a Polynesian Cultural Center Employee that can get me 50% off a ticket to the PCC for Tuesday. The North Shore is gorgeous!! It rained a lot more in that area but rain is not a big deal in Hawaii. The weather changes frequently and if you do get drenched, you'll be dry a little while later. Along the side of the highway are a bunch of shrimp trucks, I went by too late the first night and too early the next morning to try them, but I hear they are really good.

I drove around town and visited BYU - Hawaii, which is a beautiful campus. I went to the Laie Hawaii Temple to take pictures and relax. I was leaving and asked a guy, he was visiting as well, what one statue represented. He didn't know either until we found the plaque hid in the bushes. We started talking and he had a friend that could get me a ticket at the discount rate. He was planning on leaving around 11am the next morning (which he later changed) but he was willing to hook me up with a ticket!! I was so exicted and glad that I listened to a friend that recommended waiting until I got there to buy my ticket.

2 comments:

Steven & Adrienne said...

I am super jeolous..I would love to go to that Temple. What gorgeous pics and I love seeing pics of you, since I haven't seen you in so long.

Cathy said...

Sara, I'm glad that you had a good time. You are adventurous! I couldn't snorkel for more than 5 minutes without having Brandon hum the "Jaws" theme underwater and freak me out. And turtles? No thanks...they're shark food.