Monday, August 11, 2008

Hilo and Helicopter







I woke up early to head on out to Hilo, the wet side of the island. I tsopped at Texmex to get my first malasada for this trip. I saw the Akaka, Umauama and Rainbow Falls (there wasn't a rainbow). Shortly after I got to town it started pouring rain adn Iwas worried about the helicopter ride being cancelled, but it cleared up.

The doors off helicopter ride was awesome!! I was scared at first because I only had a shoulder strap seat belt (like the front seat of a car). I relaxed and loved it, even though I was cold at altitude. We flew out over the ocean where the lava going into the ocean and then over a lava stream. It was so cool to see the lava. We then went over the crater where the steam and gases weere coming out. On the way back we flew by the Hawaiian Falls which are part of the there water supply and you aren't allowed to hike there. I loved the helicopter doors off tour, it was so cool.

I then drove out to the Volcano National Park to see the lava tube and steam vents. I also hiked out on the lava to watch the lava go into the ocean. I was extremely tired the last 20 minutes driving home and I crashed as soon as I got here.

Tomorrow will be a lot more relaxing. Wednesday I'll be doing a night dive with Manta Rays and going to Mauna Kea Summit on Friday. I'll be going to the beaches Tuesday and Thrusday all day!!

1 comment:

Nathan and Emily said...

Oh malasadas. I could almost live off of those! Except that I would have to live in the bathroom! Enjoy every minute, you deserve it!